Utilities Concession

I need assistance with Utilities Concession

Utilities Concession PDF File 235.2 KB
Utilities Consession MS Word File 76.5 KB

Icon for Housing

Updated July 2017

What is it?

From 1 July 2017, the energy and utility concession and the water and sewerage rebate will be combined into a single Utilities Concession at a maximum rebate of $604.00 per household. Not only will this provide additional support to eligible households which are renting, but by combining the concession, this will make the program simpler to administer as applicants will only need to apply for the one concession. All eligible households will now receive the same level of concession regardless of whether they rent or own a home.

The Utilities Concession covers electricity, natural gas, water and sewerage and is calculated on a daily basis, with rates depending on the season. The concession is available on the principal place of residence only and the account must be in the cardholder’s name. Only one Utilities Concession per eligible household can be claimed.

The annual rebate amount in 2017-18 is $604.00. The current daily summer rate for the Utilities Concession is approximately 76.925 cents per day and the winter rate is approximately 288.183 cents per day from 1 June to 31 October. The Utilities Concession will be applied to the applicant’s electricity account.

Who is eligible?

Eligible applicants must be the primary holder of one of the following concession cards: Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (PCC); or Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card (HCC); or Veteran’s Affairs Pensioner Concession Card, Gold Card and TPI. For primary card holders of a Low Income Health Care Card, a new application needs to be made each time a new card is issued. Only the primary card holder can apply for the Utilities Concession. The primary card holder’s name and address must be the same as the name and address appearing on the electricity account.

The concession can only be claimed from the start date of the primary card holder’s concession card. Please note: the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card is not an eligible card under the scheme.

How do I apply?

Contact your energy provider. Contact details including links are provided below. Registered Providers under the Utilities Concession scheme are:

  • ActewAGL Retail
  • Origin
  • EnergyAustralia

Who runs it?

ACT Revenue Office
Contact details for energy providers

1. ActewAGL Retail Ph: 13 14 93
For information and an application form
Web: ActewAGL Website

2. Origin Ph: 13 24 61
For information and an application form
Web: Origin Website

3. EnergyAustralia Ph: 13 34 66
For information and an application form
Web: EnergyAustralia Website