ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal

I need assistance with ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal

ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal PDF File 176.3 KB
ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal MS Word File 76.0 KB

Icon for Legal Advice

Updated April 2012

What is it?

The ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal reviews and makes rulings on decisions that have been made under ACT legislation.
Examples of disputes that can be heard by the ACAT include:

  • if you have a disagreement with your neighbour
  • an argument over a finance agreement
  • if someone damages your property
  • disputes with your landlord or your tenant
  • goods application
  • common boundaries
  • trespass and nuisance applications
  • contractual disputes
  • any decision made under an ACT law
  • application for a mental health order
  • residential issues with tenants or landlords

The ACAT offers concessions and waivers of fees on a needs basis, the application for a concession is at ACT Civil & Administrative Tribunal

Hardship Applications

If you are having trouble paying your electricity, gas or water account, the first thing you should do is talk to the utility company about a payment plan or about other available options such as participation in their hardship program. If you cannot reach a realistic agreement with your utility, the ACAT may be able to assist you to avoid disconnection.

You can start an ACAT hardship assistance application by ringing 6207 7740 and talking to staff. Staff will help you complete an application. ACAT staff may also order the utility not to disconnect your supply until your application has been looked at. ACAT members will meet with you to discuss options for continuing your supply and making appropriate payments. If you are already disconnected from supply, ACAT may order the utility to reconnect supply within 24 hours.

For further brief information about hardship assistance applications, download a pamphlet at Hardship Assistance.
For more detailed information about hardship assistance applications and about Tribunal procedures telephone the ACAT office.

Who is eligible?

Anyone can apply to be heard.

How do I apply?

You can start an ACAT hardship assistance application by ringing 6207 7740 and talking to staff.

Who runs it?

The ACAT is independent Statutory Authority.


Knowles Place
Level 4, 12 Moore St
Ph: (02) 6207 1740
Web: ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal
Opening Hours 9.00am and 4.30pm