Housing ACT – Central Access Point

I need assistance with Housing ACT – Central Access Point

Housing ACT – Central Access Point PDF File 178.6 KB
Housing ACT – Central Access Point MS Word File 79.5 KB

Updated May 2012

What is it?

Central Access Point in Belconnen co-locates Housing ACT's Gateway Services, where people can apply for public, community or affordable housing, as well as a range of specialist homelessness services. See fact sheets on First Point and the Supportive Tenancies Service, for further information on these services.
Housing ACT also has staff at the Centrelink Tuggeranong office each Wednesday from

  • 8.00 am -5.00 pm.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for public or community housing, you must:

  • Be 16 years or older;
  • Be in Australia lawfully and not subject to a time limit imposed by law;
  • Be a resident of the ACT for 6 months immediately before the assessment date;
  • Be under the asset threshold of $40,000; and
  • not own any residential property.

At 17 May 2012 the income barriers applying to rental housing assistance are:

  • Single Applicant - $628 gross per week
  • Family of two persons and joint tenancies - $785 gross per week
  • Family of three or more persons - $785 plus $105 each for the third, fourth, fifth person etc.

Please check with Housing ACT for further information.
These conditions apply when you register for assistance, while you are on the applicant list, and when you are allocated a dwelling.

How do I apply?

To apply for assistance with Housing ACT, you should complete a Registration for Assistance form available from the Central Access Point Registration for Assistance form
The application should be lodged at the Central Access Point where your needs will be assessed during an interview. The purpose of the interview is to discuss your housing options and for

  • Housing ACT to obtain any further information it requires to make a decision about your application. If you wish, you are welcome to bring a friend, advocate or interpreter with you.

When you complete the Registration for Assistance form you must provide a number of documents about yourself, all dependent children and other members of your household. These documents are:

  • proof of identity (you will need to bring sufficient information regarding your identity to get 100 points, eg, your passport, current or expired less than three years, not cancelled, equals 70 points, Medicare card 25 points , Accounts, eg. electricity, telephone 25 points per account;
  • Government issued licence or permit eg. drivers licence;
  • proof of residency in Australia and the ACT;
  • birth certificates;
  • proof of income and assets; and
  • proof of legal custody of dependent children.

Special Housing Need
We may consider you have a special housing need if your circumstances include:

  • homelessness;
  • mental health or medical issues;
  • disability, including frail aged;
  • women and children escaping domestic violence;
  • indigenous persons facing complex issues;
  • children at risk, including their parents and carers.

More information is available in the Determination of Needs Categories
Housing ACT application forms are available at the Central Access Point.

Who runs it?

The Community Services Directorate.


Housing ACT
Ph: 133 427
Web: Community Services Directorate - Housing ACT

Central Access Point
Nature Conservation House
Corner of Emu Bank & Benjamin Way