First Home Owner Grant
Updated June 2018
What is it?
The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) provides financial assistance to eligible people buying their first new or substantially renovated home. As of 1 January 2017 the FHOG is $7,000. Payment of the First Home Owner Grant will end for transactions entered into after 30 June 2019.
Who is eligible?
There are several eligibility requirements for the FHOG, including:
- The transaction must be to buy or build a new home, substantially renovated home or off-the-plan home;
- The FHOG application must be lodged within the required time;
- Applicants and their partners must satisfy a current and previous property ownership test;
- Applicants and their partners cannot have received the FHOG anywhere in Australia;
- The total value of the property must be $750,000 or less;
- At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- No applicant can be a company or trust;
- Applicants must meet the residency requirements; and
- Applicants are required to be at least 18 years old.
How do I apply?
You can lodge your FHOG application in two ways: through an approved agent or directly to the ACT Revenue Office.
You must lodge your application within one year from the completion date of the eligible transaction. This means the settlement date or the date of issue of the Certificate of Occupancy and Use.
The application form is available at ACT Revenue Office website - First Home Owner Grant
ACT Revenue Office Contact Centre
Phone: (02) 6207 0028
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
Wednesdays 10:30am to 5:00pm