Traffic Fines – Time to Pay
Updated June 2014
What is it?
Traffic infringement notices are issued for speeding, unregistered vehicles, negligent driving and other traffic related offences occurring in the ACT. Traffic Infringement Notices are issued by ACT Police.
For traffic infringements in another Australian state or territory please contact the relevant police or road authority.
You may apply for an extension to pay the infringement notice penalty, or to dispute the liability, within 28 days from the date of service of either the infringement notice or the reminder notice.
Time to Pay
The request must contain the following details:
- traffic infringement number/s
- date of service of the infringement notice/s
- your name, current address, drivers licence number and state
- a work and/or home contact phone number
- the length of extension required (the maximum time allowed is six months)
- a brief reason why you are requesting an extension of time to pay.
- Online: Submit your request online using the Request extension of time to pay online form
- In person: Attend any ACT police station and complete a request for extension form that will be forwarded for processing
- By fax: Print the Request extension of time to pay form, complete the details and fax to the number shown on the form.
- By post: Print the Request extension of time to pay form, complete the details and post to:
Chief Police Officer
GPO Box 2208
Canberra ACT 2601
In due course, you will receive a reply in writing, advising the outcome of your extension request.
Please note: Traffic infringements do not include ACT parking fines.
Eligible individuals able to demonstrate financial hardship can participate in an Infringement Notice Management Plan
Who issues Traffic Fines?
How do I pay my fine?
Payment must be made within 28 days from the date of service of the infringement notice.
If you fail to pay the infringement notice penalty within 28 days from the date of service, a reminder notice will be served on you. An additional administration fee of $34.00 is charged by the ACT Government for the cost of serving the reminder notice.
Payments can be made:
- online via the ACT Government's www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/#/transport
- in person: Pay at any Post Office/ Post Office agency or Canberra Connect Shopfront using cash, cheque or debit cards (EFTPOS),
- by post: Make cheques or money orders payable to 'Road Transport Authority'. Please attach the notice with your payment and send to: PO Box 582 Dickson ACT 2602,
- by Bpay: Bpay biller code 343533, customer number is the 10 digit infringement number, or
- over the phone: Phone 131 816 (when prompted, enter the Billpay code, 0286).
All non-cash payments are subject to five working days clearance.